Happy Monday! It was a cold, snowy weekend here in Ottawa, but I managed to spend some quality time on myself while "my little taste tester" was with his Dad.
In spite of the cold weather, I finally started Christmas shopping, mailed holiday cards, and sipped on hot cocoa non-stop. It’s so nice to have some time to observe all of the rituals and rhythms of the season. and now, as I begin a new week, some recipes and reads that have caught my eye lately.
I don’t know what’s more exciting than a square of perfectly flavored dark chocolate …on a stick …begging to be dipped in some hot milk. right?
If you're thinking about edible gift giving, these Hot Chocolate Sticks from fed & fit.com look like a perfect gift to me!
Sugar cookies are one of my favorites during the festive season. Purely Twins share a fabulous recipe for the best grain-free egg-free sugar cookies. "My little taste tester" thinks we should make these and leave them out for Santa this year. How cute! He still believes! But then again, so do I ! :)
Speaking of Santa, I'll bet this Kick Ace Extra Sharp Holiday Cheddar Cheese Ball would kick Santa in the ace.
When I saw Emma's Cabbage, Apple and Pomegranate Salad with Ginger Almond Dressing I knew it was a winner. Packed full of superfoods, this salad is so colorful, creative and fun.
I love all things ginger and so does North America's Gluten-Free expert, Kathy Smart. Kathy's No-Bake Gingerbread Man Cookie Dough Balls need to get in my mouth right MEOW!
Speaking of ginger, I love how Davida's Chocolate Gingerbread Granola Bars look... like the perfect thing to make for a Christmas dinner extravaganza. These are definitely on my to-make list!
When I moved on to nutritional medicine, got into holistic health and continued my natural, holistic healing journey...and realized that my health is 100% in my own hands. Taking Responsibility For Your Health helped me realize that I am not broken. I do not need to be fixed. I am responsible for my own healing.
I am trying to accept myself as a whole person. I am not perfect. I have things to heal on the physical, emotional and spiritual level. But I am a whole person with my imperfections and problems. I am not broken. I do not need fixing. I am a person with some challenges who is responsible for her own healing journey.
2. Nicole's blog posts are always so inspiring, and with the new year creeping up on us, A Starting Point For Change helped me recognize that it's time to love myself and treat myself well, starting now. it's time to create magic in my life. I deserve it!
3. I have so many food, environmental and chemical sensitivities. Grocery shopping used to be so overwhelming but once I broke things down, it was not so intimidating for me. I stand by the article 3 Health Foods To Avoid. My genetics are starting to catch up with me, plus I have "my little taste tester" to think about too, so I take this stuff very seriously now.
4. This list may seem a little silly but if you're interested, 34 Ways To Make You Stuff Last As Long As Possible can, supposedly, help you stretch your dollar. I had no idea that breaking apart your bananas or wrapping the stems in tin foil makes them last longer!
5. Ben Ralston hits a raw nerve with me in his article Can't Live With My Wife, Can't Live Without My Son. I could share my story as well as it seems so similar, yet different, but almost the same: Pain. Loss. Change. Resistance. Grief. Sorrow. Despair. Rage. The Void. Isolation. Loss of Purpose. Helplessness. Agony. Frustration... -A mother unable to protect her own kids is not a feeling that I can even begin to describe...If you are not familiar with Ben Ralston and his work - or if you are doing your own "work" you may want to go visit his page.
6. The 8-Hour Sleep Myth: How I Learned That Everything I Knew About Sleep Was Wrong, for those who think themselves failure for not sleeping 8 hours straight through the night - “Even a soul submerged in sleep is hard at work and helps make something of the world.” ― Heraclitus, Fragments
7. And finally, The Delicious Dish introduced me to Pete Schweddy and his balls, which sound like a great gift idea this season. Ben & Jerry liked the idea too. Unfortunately, I cannot find this flavor of ice cream anywhere in Canada.
What's one recipe that you have really loved lately?
What have you been reading recently? <---- I have Mockingjay beside me on my bedside table but I haven't started reading it yet.