May 17, 2012

Fresh Tomato Chili with Taco Nut Meat

I've always loved tomatoes.  As a young girl, I remember eating fresh tomatoes from my mother's garden, much like the way you'd eat an apple.  I would just chomp right into it. The juices would come running down my chin, and I loved it! This was heaven.

Unfortunately, The Taste Tester doesn't share the same love for tomatoes as I do. He didn't want to have anything to do with ketchup until he was almost six years old. He actually tried his very first tomato-based spaghetti sauce a few months ago (but complained about it because he just doesn't like tomatoes). So I rarely buy tomatoes.

Last night, I decided to test him and his love hate for tomatoes. I've been craving fresh tomatoes for the past few days, so I decided to pick up some beautiful tomatoes from the Natural Food Pantry (my #1 health store in Ottawa).  I was pleasantly surprised to find an amazing recipe in Ani Phyo's Ani’s Raw Food Essentials. It was delicious! And....The Taste Tester LOVED it too!


This recipes is simple, quick, and easy to make. You'll love it.

Tomato Chili with Taco Nut Meat
(from Ani’s Raw Food Essentials)
Makes 4 servings

TOMATO CHILI 
3 cup tomatoes, chop
1 cup red bell pepper, chop
1/4 cup celery, chop
1/4 cup yellow onion, chop
1/3 cup mushroom, chop
1/3 cup corn kernels (I omitted this)
1 tsp. garlic, mince
1–2 tsp. chili powder, to taste
1 tsp. cumin, powder
3/4 tsp oregano, fresh or dry
1/4 tsp sea salt, to taste

Place all ingredients into a large mixing bowl, toss to mix well.
Place half of your mixture into your food processor or blender and puree. 
Scoop back into bowl with mixture and toss to mix well.

NUT MEAT TOPPING
  • 1 cup walnuts
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon cumin, powder
  • 2 teaspoons coriander, powder
  • 1 teaspoon Bragg’s or Nama Shoyu, or 1/4 tsp. sea salt, to taste
Place all ingredients into your food processor, and process into small pieces.
To serve, scoop raw Tomato Chili into bowls. Top with Taco Nut Meat
Enjoy.

Tomato Chili will keep for 1-2 days in fridge. Taco Nut Meat will keep for a week or more.

No comments:

Post a Comment